Ah, but this author is biased, being a web designer. So I’m going to put forward some thoughts, and hopefully get some comments in return.
Believe me, there are a number of excellent free web builders available, such as WordPress, Wix, SquareSpace, Joomla etc. These allow you to create a website which looks as good as the effort and skill you are willing and able to put into them.
WordPress, for example, enables you to build the core website, and then to add “plugins” which add extra functionality such as a web form, Google map, eCommerce, and others. It has a wealth of support available online which you can tap in to.
So, what are the pitfalls and when do you need a web designer? Try out these reasons:
- When creating a website for the first time, a web builder requires a significant investment in your time
- A professional designer understands the components required for a site and the interplay between them
- Even with a web builder, CSS needs to be added in order to tweek the site.
- Creating the site is stage one. Getting it seen on Google is stage two – this is where a professional’s knowledge of SEO comes in.
- All in all, you have to be technically savvy to build your own website.