SEO is: a set of techniques with the goal of improving your site’s ranking on Google, Bing and Yahoo
The techniques broadly include:
- Ensuring that the keywords and phrases you use on your site match those used by searchers. These keywords and phrases have to be present in the searcher-readable text as well as in the search engine-readable tags such as Title and Description.
- Ensuring your text content is informative and useful to its reader. You have to address the reader’s concerns in a style of writing which is clear and concise.
- Building up the number of links made to your site from elsewhere.
- Use of links internal to your site.
- The use of a blog on your website. This has numerous benefits such as furthering the goal of matching searchers’ keywords; giving you the chance to gain feedback from readers of your site; and publicising your credentials in your field.
- Using social media to spread your marketing net further and direct social media readers to your website.